April Is Gardening Month
April is Gardening Month in Wayne County! April is the month that our yards come alive with spring colors and new growth. Gardening is a common thread that joins many of us together as we find enjoyment in gardening. There are many reasons so many enjoy gardening allowing it to be the number one recreational activity in America. Gardening allows us to get exercise, fresh air and connect with nature, as well as it being a way to stretch the food budget and improve our diets. Having an attractive landscape can increase the value of a residence by 10 to 15% as well as make communities more attractive. Gardening also can help protect and preserve our environment by conserving water, controlling soil erosion and attracting wildlife.
With warm weather and longer days, many of us will enjoy spending time sprucing up our gardens. There are many things beginner and expert gardeners can take advantage to improve their gardens. Spring is a great time to visit our local garden centers in Wayne County. One of the most exciting things for gardeners is to pick out new plants for their garden. Local garden centers will soon be full of plants giving many choices for new plants to add to one’s yard. Garden centers can also offer ideas for plant combinations including mixing colors, leaf textures and shapes.
Growing one’s own food has grown in interest over the last several years. If you are a beginner gardener, you may start out this spring growing vegetables, strawberry plants or herbs in a container or small raised bed. More experienced gardeners can add grape vines, blueberries, fruit trees to their garden while trying different vegetables. No matter your level of experience, adding some vegetables and/or fruit to the garden gives a great satisfaction of eating fresh food grown in your own garden.
If you are interested in learning more about gardening, Wayne County Extension Master Gardeners and Wayne County Extension will be holding their annual Garden Festival and Plant Sale on Saturday, April 21st. Festival will open at 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. at the Wayne County Extension Office, located at The Maxwell Regional Agricultural & Convention Center (3114 Wayne Memorial Drive, Goldsboro). Come help us celebrate Gardening Month in Wayne County by learning more about gardening. Master Gardeners will have a large variety of plants for sale at great prices including: vegetables, annuals, herbs, perennials, trees and shrubs. Be sure to arrive early for best selection of plants. We will have information on soil testing and container gardening. You can pick up popular extension gardening publications on many topics. Beekeepers of the Neuse will have honey for sale and information about beekeeping. Wayne County 4-H will have children’s activities. Wayne Extension Family Consumer Science Agent will have food demonstrations to give you ideas of how to cook with the vegetables and herbs you grow.
Wayne County Extension Master Gardeners and Wayne County Extension also provide a great resource for local gardeners to get their gardening questions answered through the plant clinic. The Master Gardener plant clinic is open every year from April to August on Mondays and Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Extension Master Gardener Volunteers are in the plant clinic during these times to assist the public with their gardening questions. One of the great things about the plant clinic is that volunteers have been trained to provide educational gardening information from NC Cooperative Extension that is practical and reliable. Volunteers will utilize resources through the NC Cooperative Extension to determine an answer and best solution. The plant clinic is a free resource to Wayne County residents with home gardening questions. One can reach the Wayne County Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Plant Clinic by phone at 919-731-1433, e-mail at Master.Gardener@waynegov.com, or stopping by the Wayne County Extension Office (3114 Wayne Memorial Drive, Goldsboro).
- Subscribe to Wayne County Gardening e-newsletter and receive timely gardening information and announcements of upcoming extension gardening events.
- To subscribe: Visit: http://go.ncsu.edu/subscribewcg. Scroll down to enter your email address in the “address” box and click on the subscribe button. You will then receive an e-mail which will direct you to a website to accept the subscription.
- Visit our websites at waynecountyag.com and http://wayne.ces.ncsu.edu/
- “Like” us on Facebook to receive timely garden tips, ask questions, and learn of upcoming gardening events. facebook.com/waynecountygardening
Jessica Strickland is an Agriculture Extension Agent, specializing in horticulture for North Carolina Cooperative Extension in Wayne County. Horticulture program information can be found at http://wayne.ces.ncsu.edu/. Forward any questions you would like answered from this week’s column to Jessica.Strickland@waynegov.com.
Upcoming Wayne County Extension Gardening Programs
- ‘Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Plant Clinic’ opens Monday, April 2nd!
- Got gardening questions? We can help! Call, e-mail or stop by with gardening questions.
- April through August the plant clinic will be open Mondays and Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Plant Clinic is located at the Extension Office at 3114 Wayne Memorial Drive, Goldsboro.
- Call the plant clinic at 919-731-1433 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2018 Garden Festival & Plant Sale
- Saturday, April 21st 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Wayne County Extension Office (3114 Wayne Memorial Drive, Goldsboro)
- Come celebrate Gardening Month in Wayne County!
- Festival will open at 10 a.m.
- A large variety of plants will be for sale along with Master Gardener Volunteers being on hand to answer your gardening questions.
- There will be displays on plant propagation, soil testing and container gardening including Wayne County 4-H and Wayne Extension Foods & Nutrition Agent will have food demonstrations.
- Beekeepers of the Neuse will have honey for sale.
- Will have raffle items and door prizes
- Growing Vegetables & Herbs Workshop
- Tuesday, April 24th 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Wayne County Extension Office (3114 Wayne Memorial Drive, Goldsboro)
- Join us for our next workshop in the Gardening in Wayne County monthly workshop series.
- Cost is $5 per workshop.
- Pre-registration is not required. Arrive a few minutes early to register.
- Growing Vegetables & Herbs workshop will cover how you can successfully grow a vegetable garden and herbs. Learn about site selection, raised beds, when to plant different vegetables and herbs, garden maintenance, and common pest problems.
- Contact the Wayne County Extension Office at 919-731-1520 to receive a full schedule of the 2018 gardening workshops.