Got Gardening Questions? Extension Master Gardener Volunteers Can Help!
With the arrival of warmer temperatures, people are ready to start working in their home landscapes, lawns and gardens. Often people have questions about how to care for plants and deal with gardening problems. This is where the Wayne County Extension Master Gardener Volunteer’s provide several ways to help answer your questions.
An Extension Master Gardener is a volunteer for the N.C. Cooperative Extension Service. Many county extension offices have a county Extension Master Gardener Volunteer program. Volunteers are selected through an application process, complete a 40-hour training program and complete a 40-hour internship. Once the internship is complete, Extension Master Gardener Volunteers remain active by completing a minimum of 20 hours of volunteer service and 10 hours of continuing education each year.
The mission of the Extension Master Gardener Volunteers is to provide unbiased, research based information to gardeners on lawns, landscapes, and gardens. The information that Extension Master Gardeners provide are ones that guide homeowners in making environmentally sound decisions in their landscapes and gardens. In Wayne County, we have an active group of 30 volunteers that assist our local Extension Office in reaching that mission
One of the most important projects the Wayne County Extension Master Gardener Volunteers do is provide a plant clinic at our office for Wayne County residents. The plant clinic is open every Monday and Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. from April through August. Extension Master Gardener Volunteers are in the plant clinic during these times to assist the public with their gardening questions. One of the great things about the plant clinic is that volunteers have been trained to provide educational gardening information from the N.C. Cooperative Extension Office that is practical and reliable. Volunteers will utilize resources through the N.C. Cooperative Extension Service to determine an answer and best solution. Although volunteers do handle many types of gardening questions, there are a few types of questions that the volunteers are not trained to handle, including: indoor pests, commercial horticulture, hazardous tree evaluation, or medical/legal questions.
The plant clinic is a free resource to Wayne County residents who have home gardening questions. One can reach the Wayne County Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Plant Clinic by phone at 919-731-1433, e-mail at Master.Gardener@waynegov.com, or stopping by the Wayne County Extension Office at The Maxwell Regional Agricultural & Convention Center (3114 Wayne Memorial Drive, Goldsboro).
- Subscribe to Wayne County Gardening e-newsletter and receive timely gardening information and announcements of upcoming extension gardening events.
- To subscribe: Visit: http://go.ncsu.edu/subscribewcg. Scroll down to enter your email address in the “address” box and click on the subscribe button. You will then receive an e-mail which will direct you to a website to accept the subscription.
- Visit our websites at waynecountyag.com and //wayne.ces.ncsu.edu/
- “Like” us on Facebook to receive timely garden tips, ask questions, and learn of upcoming gardening events. facebook.com/waynecountygardening
Jessica Strickland is an Agriculture Extension Agent, specializing in horticulture for North Carolina Cooperative Extension in Wayne County. Horticulture program information can be found at //wayne.ces.ncsu.edu/. Forward any questions you would like answered from this week’s column to Jessica.Strickland@waynegov.com.
Upcoming Wayne County Extension Gardening Programs
- 2018 Garden Festival & Plant Sale
- Saturday, April 21st 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Wayne County Extension Office (3114 Wayne Memorial Drive, Goldsboro)
- Come celebrate Gardening Month in Wayne County!
- Festival will open at 10 a.m.
- A large variety of plants will be for sale along with Master Gardener Volunteers being on hand to answer your gardening questions.
- There will be displays on plant propagation, soil testing and container gardening including Wayne County 4-H and Wayne Extension Foods & Nutrition Agent will have food demonstrations.
- Beekeepers of the Neuse will have honey for sale.
- Will have raffle items and door prizes
- Growing Vegetables & Herbs Workshop
- Tuesday, April 24th 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Wayne County Extension Office (3114 Wayne Memorial Drive, Goldsboro)
- Join us for our next workshop in the Gardening in Wayne County monthly workshop series.
- Cost is $5 per workshop.
- Pre-registration is not required. Arrive a few minutes early to register.
- Growing Vegetables & Herbs workshop will cover how you can successfully grow a vegetable garden and herbs. Learn about site selection, raised beds, when to plant different vegetables and herbs, garden maintenance, and common pest problems.
- Contact the Wayne County Extension Office at 919-731-1520 to receive a full schedule of the 2018 gardening workshops.